Trust Your Struggle (Claire Westlie)

Note: The formatting of the post is intentional.

I was sitting on the stinky, crowded MagicBus looking at the floor.

My poor hand was touching the disgusting and germy rail and my body was pressed up against this middle-aged Indian man.

I looked out the window at the sketchy “Curry Mile” and I saw that it was raining…again.

Feeling tears well up in my eye I noticed something scribbled in Sharpie on the bus wall.

“Trust Your Struggle”

I stared at those words expecting them to become alive and slap me in the face.

If someone told me I could go home I would jump on the next plane to America. I would just run and leave behind everything in my dumpy room.

I would leave this city and never look back.

My dream has become a nightmare and I just want to go home.

Home to the beautiful and safe Wisconsin.

I felt a tear slip down my cheek and the Indian man gave me a sympathetic look before exiting the bus. I sat in an empty seat.

I have to trust that this is worth it.

I’m sick of always being lost.

I’m sick of being hungry ALL THE TIME (probably from all the walking and not eating well).

I’m sick of the bus.

I’m sick of missing B.

It’s just hard right now and it will get easier.

This is life.

Studying abroad isn’t a magical time when you don’t have to worry about anything.

Studying abroad is an experience which some undertake and take something away from it.

My honeymoon phase is over and now I’m settling in to life here.

Life is very different here.

I don’t know where those words came or who wrote it, but they were so comforting to me at that moment in time.

I got off the bus in front of my accommodation.

There were a lot of people walking around the streets and I started quickly walking towards my building.

I managed to look up and notice that the sky had cleared and the moon was peeking through.

I smiled as I brushed off the solicitors which constantly mill in front of the gate and headed to my room for a  cup of tea.

I do enjoy an English cup of tea.

“Trust Your Struggle”

Claire Westlie is studying abroad at the University of Manchester in Manchester, England.

This entry was posted in Cultural Adjustment & Culture Shock and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.