Some Great Craic (Kathryn Jamieson)

It is crazy to think that just 3 ½ short months ago I was nervously packing as much as I could into 2 suitcases for a semester abroad. I think studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland was so far one of the best choices I have made in my life. I have learned so much about foreign countries, cultures, and mostly myself.

I have so much advice for future students planning on studying abroad and I would definitely encourage everyone to do it. I have traveled to 7 different countries and absolutely loved each and every one of them. I am so happy I chose to study abroad because this is an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. I learned to step out of my comfort zone by meeting and hanging out with different people, but also being more independent. I came to Dublin without any of my best friends and I think that was a good choice for myself. I had a few friends from St. Norbert but there were many times that I did stuff without them and with people I met in Dublin. There were also times that I explored Dublin by myself, which was a great way for me to gather my thoughts and reflect on my experiences and emotions. I have never traveled on an airplane without my parents; so taking many trips without them was very beneficial because I learned to grow into a responsible adult.

I am so happy to be home with my family and friends, but I already miss Dublin and hope to return someday! I have so many stories to tell and memories I will cherish forever!

Kathryn Jamieson is studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland, with the Foundation for International Education (FIE).

This entry was posted in Personal Growth and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.