Me, Myself, and I (Rob Fulton)

Dear Future ‘Study Abroaders’,

I am writing this letter as a warning to all of you.  Actually the word ‘warning’ seems harsh, call it more of an advisement.  If you choose to go abroad, which you definitely should, I would recommend that you go by yourself.  Don’t be swayed into studying with a friend or a large group of friends.  You may think it’s a great idea to go abroad with your clique but I think the only thing it creates is conflicts.

Think about it this way: what can you gain from studying with your friends?  I mean you would have a great base when you get there but then comes time to plan things.  Everyone wants different things while they are overseas.  Different trips, meals, and activities.  I think in most cases, one could argue that studying abroad strains previous friendships more than strengthens them.  (DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion, if you want to study with friends, DO IT.)  I think that I was able to accomplish more by myself because I only had to worry about one person’s schedule: my own.  I was able to do whatever I wanted and that was a great feeling.

There’s an episode of How I Met Your Mother in which they discuss discovering people’s mannerisms.  I think that if you go through studying abroad with friends you discover these and sometimes they can be awkward.  I don’t regret going on my own because I learned things about myself and without sounding selfish, that’s the only person I cared to learn about.

Good luck with your travels,

Rob Fulton

Rob Fulton is studying abroad at Florence University of the Arts in Florence, Italy.

This entry was posted in Personal Growth and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.