Seminars & Lectures (Devan Scherer)

Education in the England is a little different than what one is use to in the states. To begin, instead of two semesters universities have three terms. As a result classes start in October and run through June. Additionally, all exams are proctored at the end of the entire school year. I studied during the first term of the year and was surprised to find between my three classes only six to seven hours of class a week. Class time is split between lectures and seminars. Seminars consist of a variety of activities including discussions on weekly readings, activities, or a mixture. Having such a little amount of contact hours was something I was not use to and at times felt like I was not learning enough or a lot of information. Coursework was also different. Instead of exams every few weeks, projects, or homework my coursework rested heavily on papers submitted on the last day of class. The papers required a substantial amount of research other than what was learned in class. Some classes took attendance though a lot did not. Basically, one could not go to class and still do well in the class if his or her papers were done well. Additionally, none of my classes used a textbook. It was nice not having to spend the money on books though it was different simply reading articles online rather than having a book. All in all, as much as I find the education system in the U.S. to be a lot of work I feel as though I am more productive and learn more in that environment.

Devan Scherer is studying abroad at Lancaster University in Lancaster, England.

This entry was posted in Educational Systems & Experiences and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.