Final Days in London (Olivia Sievert)

I can hardly believe that in less than 2 days I will be headed home to Chicago. It is going to be bittersweet to leave London. I have had the most amazing time here these last 3 1/2 months and it is sad to think there is a chance I might never come back! If it were up to me, I would head home for a week or two to see everyone at home (and hopefully win the lottery!), and head back for another semester!

Studying abroad has been the best decision I’ve made. I was hesitent of going at first, being away from my family and friends for so long. I have heard of good as well as bad experiences, and was worried mine would not be what I expected! London surprised me. After all the worries and the unknown, I am so glad I chose London.

I love that there was so much to do, you were never bored. In fact, we are still scrambling this week to do things we wanted to do before leaving! There were so many different areas to check out, each with their own different twist. I loved being able to take the tube anywhere we wanted to go, and staying out way too late. I enjoyed my internship and loved meeting new people. I loved shopping, even though I couldn’t afford much! I really enjoyed the culture change, and the slower pace and more cheering working place. One of my favorite things was getting to know my flatmates, and making 13 new friends. These are only a few…

I ate kebabs and watched the sunset over the Hagia Sophia in Turkey. I drank a stein (well, many steins!) and chanted at Oktoberfest in Germany. I visited the Anne Frank museum and walked along the beautiful bridges in Amsterdam. Visited the countryside of Dublin and had my first Guinness in Ireland. I threw a penny into the Trevi Fountain in Rome, shopped on the Ponti Veccio Bridge in Florence, and cruised in a Gondola in Venice, all in Italy. I also took pictures on top of the Eiffle Tower and saw it sparkle in Paris. I visited the coffee shop where Harry Potter was written and listened to bagpipers on the streets of Scotland. And made ENDLESS memories in London as well! :)

Studying abroad has been the decision I have ever made! I would recommend it to everyone, and I am sure I will talk people’s ears off about it when I get home! I am so sad to leave, but happy to see my family and friends at home :)

Hopefully one day I can come back!

Olivia Sievert is studying abroad in London, England, with the Foundation for International Education (FIE).

This entry was posted in Personal Growth and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.