Departing London (Emily Landa)

Even though it is depressing to think about, I have to acknowledge that my time in London is quickly coming to a close, and the four months that I was looking forward to over summer break are running out.  I now find that because there are so few days left, each last one goes by quicker and quicker.  Naturally, I have been trying to find every last trip or adventure I want to take and fill one of the last few days with it.

It is strange to think about how I was so nervous and anxious to see what life in London would be like or what I would need to do to adapt to the culture.  I knew there would be a culture shock and was very excited to be in a completely different environment.  Living in London for four months has truly taught me so much about different parts of the world and how to interact with other groups of people.

Like previously stated, I try my best to avoid the subject of going home, but truth be told, on December 17th, my journey abroad will end.  It is a very bittersweet feeling that I have about going home.  I am obviously excited to see my family, friends, and dog, but I would love to be able to come back and stay in London for another four months.

I legitimately would not change the experience I have had for anything in the world.  Coming to London, I was forced to grow up.  I feel that I have matured in ways that would not be possible for me to achieve back at St. Norbert and have learned more about myself in the past four months than I have in my entire life.  Also, I was lucky enough to be able to share this experience with some of my greatest friends from St. Norbert and create new friendships with some amazing people.  I would recommend studying abroad to anyone that was interested and probably force the idea upon anyone that was not interested as well.  It has really been the best experience of my life and is something that I will always remember.

Upon arrival in the states, I will again be faced with culture shock.  I know for a fact that I have altered my habits and am not used to the daily life of that in America, and to be honest, I will most likely not enjoy having to get back into that routine.  I am hoping that the luxury of having more than 3 channels on the TV and seeing my friends and family from home that I have missed so much will soften the blow of being jetlagged and done with study abroad.  I know that I will always miss and want to relive my time abroad, but I am very hopeful that I will be back to London and around Europe in the future.

Emily Landa is studying abroad in London, England, with the Foundation for International Education (FIE).

This entry was posted in Personal Growth and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.