Christmas in the UK! (Devan Scherer)

It’s Christmas time and for the first time in 21 years I am celebrating the beginning of the holiday season in another country/ countries. Here in England, Christmas is very important and you can see reminders of the holiday everywhere. Within my townhouse, we put up a tree, decorations, and each of my flatmates including myself has our advent calendars on display in the kitchen. This Sunday, we will be celebrating Christmas with a large dinner complete with Christmas crackers, Christmas pudding, mince pie, and much more. My university has also gotten into the spirit of the holidays and will be having a Christmas Market this Friday complete with reindeer, Santa’s Grotto, Chair-o-planes, a snow machine, gift stalls, and food/ drink. This will be my third Christmas market. My first was in London and my second was this past weekend when I travelled to Scotland with my flatmate Katie. In Edinburgh, Scotland the Christmas the market had taken over the downtown area. There were dozens of Christmas stalls. Some sold gifts while others sold food, drinks, and treats. I purchased a marshmallow treat dipped in chocolate and peanut nuts. There were also rides, a concert, and Santa pulled by his reindeer. In my little town back home I use to think Christmas was complete with lights, Christmas trees, and parades though Christmas markets are so much more magical. Besides the decorations, lights, and markets here in England and the UK Christmas is about family and being here reminds me just how special my family is to me. My family back home in WI, my friends from SNC, and my new friends here in England.

Devan Scherer is studying abroad at Lancaster University in Lancaster, England.

This entry was posted in Festivals and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.