Well, It’s About That Time … Unfortunately (Kort Koppmann)

Today¬†I realized how close I am to coming back home to the US and how fast my time here in London has gone. Although its a bittersweet feeling knowing that the end of my time here in England is near, I know that what I have learned and done here abroad has been an invaluable experience. The places I’ve traveled to, the things I’ve done and seen, have all been incredible and I wouldn’t trade them for anything.

When I came here on the first of September, I had no idea what to expect and what I would end up doing with my time. While here, I have been to 8 different countries; something some people will do in their lifetime. I have learned what life is like outside of the US and what people believe and practice, what their opinions are on certain things, and just the many differences in the languages (between US English and UK English) that I never would have thought existed.

They say that we were going to experience culture shock while here; well, they were right. Its not so much as a “shock” though but more of an “awakening” or “eye-opening.” Just experiencing the different cultures allowed me to see my role as a US citizen as well as a global citizen.

It has been the semester of a lifetime but going home for the first time in three and a half months to see my family and friends will be nice. My only worry now is if the weather holds off so we can leave here on time and be back for Christmas…

Keep your fingers cross for all of us over here…

Kort Koppmann is studying abroad in London, England, with the Foundation for International Education.

This entry was posted in Personal Growth and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.