Thanksgiving Dinner … With a French Twist (Leigh Smalley)

So, we were told we would be having an “American Thanksgiving” – with the same foods and whatnot…well, it turned out to be and American Thanksgiving with a bit of a French twist – not bad, just different.  We started with an andive (some random vegetable that’s quite bitter) salad with a sort of mustard/oily dressing, then we were served – no, we didn’t get to just put heaps of whatever kind of foods we wanted onto our plates – a plate with turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce (ish), and green beans.  We were then offered a second helping if we wanted – they just filled another plate and people got to pick what they wanted, but was shared between 4-6 people.  For dessert we were served a slice of pumpkin pie and a slice of apple pie (not American apple pie though – French apple pie) with some whipped cream. Now, for me, I don’t really like a lot of foods that we normally eat at Thanksgiving dinner, so I usually fill my plate with some turkey and lots of potatoes, so this dinner was not very appetizing for me, and I didn’t eat nearly as much as I normally would on Thanksgiving.  It was interesting to be in a different country on an American holiday and not be at home with family, but we had our own Thanksgiving as a group which was really nice :)

Leigh Smalley is studying abroad in Grenoble, France, at the University of Grenoble III with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS).

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.