Topping on the Cake (Matt Cahill)

It feels like years ago when I was jumping off my airplane anxiously waiting to see how cool my apartment was going to look and venture off to cow out on some food. I look back and laugh at how I used to get lost around a city that is so simple to get around. All of my weekends in Dublin are combining into one huge blur. However,the trips we took all stand out to me, and I don’t regret on going on any of them even though my bank account suffered greatly from those epic trips. The friends that we have made in our complex are from all over the east coast ranging from Boston to New York and we even have a friend that was born in South Africa. I never thought that people from such different backgrounds could click so fast and get along so well. During the middle of the year I found myself counting down the days until I could see my friends at home, but within the last couple days I have realized that I only have two weeks left with my new friends and this city. It has been an experience that has helped me both appreciate things we have at home and wish that America did things the same as Europe. I am without a doubt homesick, but I find myself trying to squeeze every bit of europe into my experience. Its going to take me a couple weeks to get in the right side of the car to drive and Im 90% sure Im going to get hit by a car because I looked left instead of right. I find it easier to realize that the screw is already in the coffin on this trip than to regret not doing anything. It has been a wonderful trip and I don’t regret a thing. I feel I’m ready to hit the old dusty trail.

Matt Cahill is studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland, with the Foundation for International Education (FIE).

This entry was posted in Personal Growth and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.