Classroom Experiences (Jenny LeMere)

My classes in Ecuador are extremely difficult for me.  Today I had two presentations, one went well and the other was terrible.  I worked with a partner who did not do what she said she would for the project and she completely let me down. Then, while giving the presentation, I caught my professor yawning and fixing her hair in her computer screen reflection.  (EN SERIO?!)  Thankfully I had my art class at the end of the day to listen to music, sit outside, calm my mind and just draw.  I have noticed that I have a terrible confidence issue when speaking Spanish, I am always so embarrassed to make mistakes, but that is the only way I will learn.  I regret taking “La Ilustración” because the level of Spanish is way too high for me.  It’s a class for Ecuadorians; I do not know what I was thinking when I signed up for it.  Another problem I have in my other class  (Lengua y Literatura) is that I can’t understand my professor’s accent.  He is extremely nice but his Cuban accent is very hard to understand, especially when he speaks quickly.  Overall, my classroom experiences here in Ecuador have caused me more stress than all of my prior fifteen years of schooling in the states… combined.  I really love Ecuador, but the school aspect was much harder than I ever thought it would be, especially because we are here for not only the schooling, but the experience as a whole too, time is limited.

Jenny LeMere is studying abroad at Universidad San Francisco de Quito in Quito, Ecuador.

This entry was posted in Classroom Experiences and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.