Bittersweet Goodbye (Jessie Richards)

It’s bittersweet to say goodbye to Australia. I am very excited to return home to see my family and friends but I am also saying goodbye the family I made in Australia. I didn’t realize how many friends I had made until I had to say goodbye to them all. Also, I didn’t realize how many different nationalities I had become so close with. Even though we all have extremely different backgrounds and different plans for after Australia, everyone’s attitude is the same: we are sad to leave but miss people back home. It’s interesting because regardless of our backgrounds everyone has the same human nature that brings us together.

Also, I think most of us, including myself, have adopted the cultural lifestyles of Australia, which most of the time much more laid back. Overall, I’ve grown from this by realizing that everyone has a lot of the same issues and that it’s normal. Therefore, it is easier to make it through tough situations.  I’ve also grown in Australia by being able to make friends easier. I realize what all cultures have in common and find it simpler to talk to random people that I’ve never met before. This will be helpful in many situations in life and also, it makes life more interesting because the more you know about others the more you learn about yourself.

Jessie Richards is studying abroad at University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia.

This entry was posted in Personal Growth, Relationships and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.