When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (Matt Dunne)

Upon coming to Ireland a big concern of mine was how the Irish people viewed Americans as a whole. It is not uncommon to hear that Americans don’t have the best reputation when viewed by the world, and that had me a little worried. Although upon arrival and through the present day, I have never met a nicer culture of people in my life. From the people that welcomed me off the plane, to the cab drivers, teachers, and everyone in between has been more than welcoming. A few times I have been lost and not even needed to ask for directions because someone stopped and asked “Hey Lad! Are ya lost?” before I could even ask them. Cab drivers here I find are the most joyful people out of everyone, they will tell you about the city of Dublin as we drive by a historical monument or tell you a good place to go grab a pint. The Irish people are one full of joy everyday regardless of social rank. Furthermore, rather than being mean because I am American as I thought they might be, they are interested and ask questions or often share experiences that they have had if they have been in the “states”. It is something that I will truly miss when I am back in the United States, not that people aren’t nice in America, but people in Ireland go out of their way to make yours better. Although I think my favorite thing about them is their honesty. They give you their completely truthful view which is helpful and at times can be very funny. If you ask someone about a place to go and they don’t like it, they will tell you so and why. The charm of the Irish people made the transition a lot easier for me, and will be hard to leave. Even being to various places such as London, Netherlands, Italy, and Germany I have found in my own opinion, Irish people are truly unique.

Matt Dunne is studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland, with the Foundation for International Education (FIE).

This entry was posted in Cultural Identity, Cultural Norms, Traditions, & Lifestyles and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.