Cultural Profusion (KJ Scribner)

Studying abroad in London has, and continues to be, the best decision I have made thus far in my life. This fabulous opportunity has allowed me to grow as an individual and better understand the differences and similarities of individuals across the world. The city of London is comprised of a vast number of religions and cultures that blend together throughout everyday life. This cultural profusion is what makes London so unique and exhilarating. For the first seven weeks, I was engaged in a course titled Transnational Studies: A Global Diaspora. This course dove deep into the many different cultures throughout London. We went on several day trips to different religious buildings, restaurants, and museums to better display the many sub communities within the city itself. Our first visit was to an Islamic mosque where we were greeted with open arms and enthusiastic individuals excited to share their religion. The same enthusiasm was evident when visiting a Seek mosque, Jewish synagogue, and various Christian churches. It is not the number of religions in London that has shocked me but the way in which they all live together without quandary. London truly is a city with endless opportunities for all that call it home, and because of this cultural profusion continues to grow.

KJ Scribner is studying abroad in London, England, with the Foundation for International Education (FIE).

This entry was posted in Classroom Experiences, Personal Growth, Religion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.