Almost One Whole Week Down Already (Calli Nonnemacher)

Original Post Date: 04 September 2011

It’s almost been an entire week since I made the trek over to Spain, and in all honesty, it has not been easy at all. I never thought for a second it was going to be this hard to transition to city life (and when i say city, i mean hundreds of thousands!!) Had i known then what i know now,  i would have been more nervous for sure.

The second I landed in Valencia, i had to take a cab to my apartment. Sounds easy right? WRONG. My host mother was not at home when I rang her doorbell, so, there I sat on the sidewalk of a completely foreign area with my luggage and not a clue what to do. Thankfully I had my friend, Pat, with me and I went to his house for awhile until my host mom came and picked me up.

Its a gorgeous city, don’t get me wrong, but it is SO much different than i pictured it to be and the whole vibe of everything that comes with city life is a little frustrating to me. The smallest things send me into cardiac arrest!!! For example, I had MAD jetlag this first week and I would sleep at times when I was supposed to be eating and then wide awake in the wee hours of the morning. I JUST WANT TO SLEEP!! Of course everything seems like the end of the world when you’re tired and I’ve cried at least 20 times over the most stupid things you could ever imagine. Not being able to get the right temperature in the shower: tears. Forgetting your USB camera cord at home: tears. Looking in the mirror and seeing your face looking like a tomato from sunburn: TEARS!!!! I feel like a 6 year old….it sucks!!

On the bright side, I have tons of friends at home who have studied abroad and they’ve been a humongous help by letting me know that it is going to be extremely hard until you get a grip on knowing how to get around and also getting into a routine that you’re comfortable with. I’m praying to God that it happens soon for me! We start classes officially on Tuesday, so that will keep my mind busy. Everyone in the program seems very nice and we all get along really well. I miss home already, which is obviously a given, but i wish the homesick-ness would have set in a little later than a week into this journey- i even admit it’s a little pathetic :)

For now though, I’m going to take it one day at a time and hope for the best.

Calli Nonnemacher is studying abroad in Valencia, Spain, with the University of Minnesota.

This entry was posted in Cultural Adjustment & Culture Shock and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.