First 4 Weeks in Roma (AJ Fedoruk)

Wow, I cannot believe that 4 weeks have passed since I have left for Rome. The first 28 days here have been some of the best of my life and would not change it for anything.  Getting adjusted here and settling down took a little longer than I thought and although I miss a lot of things back home I can truly say this has been one of the best choices of my life to study abroad.

There are some major differences which I had no idea about on how Italians live their life’s and how we do in America. First off the food selection is about the same everywhere you go, my friends and I always wonder how these people make money when there’s literally a pizzeria or bar on every street, which basically has the same things. Also it feels like no one in Rome works or does anything besides sit around, relax and sip on some wine, which is a great lifestyle but it just seems so different to our fast pace lifestyle back home.  However people here always drive so crazy and seems like they need to be somewhere important but other than that everything is so laid back. Another funny thing is that they have these little water fountains on the streets that run 24/7 which are free, however if you order a bottle of water at any restaurant or pizzeria your paying for it. I would say for a huge city Rome is one of the safer cities I have ever been to, besides for the occasional pick pocketer or gypsy that’s about the most crime you will see. Also the large amounts of walking here was a rude awaking, especially being from Norbert’s where you can get across campus in 5 minutes, here I am probably walking upwards of 5 miles a day, which took a while to get use to. Besides that I am having the time of my life out here, until next time  CIAOOOOOO…

AJ Fedoruk is studying abroad at John Cabot University in Rome, Italy.

This entry was posted in Cultural Adjustment & Culture Shock and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.