The Land Down Under (Jaime Kamps-Duac)

Original Date: July 17, 2011

Today was day two here down under, and what an awesome day it was. It began early, around 5:40am when I awoke from my alarm I had set the previous afternoon. Apparently I set up my alarm incorrectly when laying down for a nap and woke up 12 hours later when the alarm went off. I wasn’t too upset that I’d slept through  my first night down here. Today I felt refreshed and rejuvenated so all was well. My morning began with a long walk around the town, and ended with me getting lost and then finding my way back to the room.

Zach was just leaving the apartment when I got home, and asked if I’d seen any kangaroos, I was upset with this because I had yet to spot one, and on his way to take out trash he saw seven! Lucky. Zach is one of my roommates friends from Canada. He and his girlfriend Beth have been staying at the apartment waiting for their new place to open up. The two of them were very kind and showed me around town on Saturday and helped me pick out a phone and a few items I needed for the apartment.

The weather when I first arrived was cold, dreary and wet. So I was very happy this morning when I woke up to a brisk clean air with a cloudless sky. My goal was to make it to the beach, and that I did. Jessica, my fellow SNC student came over and we wandered our way to the beach where we were marveled by the beauty and brilliance of the ocean. Florida beaches are lovely, but nothing compared to what I experienced here. To wrap this post up, I must say that I had my first sighting of kangaroos here right on USC campus. Which by the way, is located in my backyard. It will be about a 5 minute walk to class.

Jaime Kamps-Duac is studying abroad at University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia.

This entry was posted in Cultural Adjustment & Culture Shock and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.