Tips Before Arriving to College

Hi, Everyone.

To keep my blog relevant to those of you planning to come to St. Norbert, I have decided to address some planning tools before you board the plane to come to Wisconsin. These are from my experience so they might differ for people coming from elsewhere.

Before you leave this summer remember that you are most likely going to be away for several months. This mean the weather is going to change; a lot! When I arrived on campus in August, the weather was warm and very humid, and when I left for the winter break it was really cold. So, when you start packing the things you need, remember that the weather is going to change. Bring summer clothes and winter clothes. And by winter clothes, I don’t mean just a pair of long pants and a shirt, but bring a heavy winter coat that can keep you warm and a good pair of winter boots. Remember, people handle weather temperatures differently so you are likely to see some of the local students walk around in shorts when it is freezing outside.

When I packed my things I did not have enough room for all my winter stuff, so my parents sent the items I needed for the winter. I ended up having two big suitcases and a carry-on suitcase with clothes. I also brought along a lot of everyday items like toothpaste and shampoo. This weighs a lot in the suitcase, but I was happy that I didn’t have to use my money on it over here. Of course, you can buy toothpaste and shampoo here if you need to or want to try new products!

It’s a good idea to set up plans on how to get to campus. I always fly into Austin Straubel International Airport (GRB) in Green Bay.  This airport is located around 10 minutes from campus. One of the things you can do to get from the airport to the campus is to let the Center for International Education (CIE) know when you will be arriving. They can help arrange for St. Norbert staff to pick you up and drive you to campus. This is by far the easiest way to get from the airport to campus, especially the first time you get here. This person will also most likely be willing to give you a tour around campus when you arrive depending on the time of the day. Walking around campus gives you a good feel of where you are, and where you are going.  It also helps jet lag!

When you are on campus, everything is within walking distance. It takes about 7 minutes to walk from one side to the other. You don’t need to have a car for anything on campus. But as time goes on, sometimes you might want to go somewhere outside the campus and then it’s a good idea to have local area friends because a lot of students from the area have a car. It is really nice to be able to go to a local store to buy some things and go out to eat somewhere else once in a while.

I hope this can help you a bit before you come here!

So long!

Peter