Bon voyage!

This morning I find myself in what I would have considered among the most unlikely places 2 weeks ago. Who knew that the Austin Straubel Airport is this quiet on the weekends? Not this girl! As a recent college grad, I usually book my tickets as far away from the weekend as possible to cut corners. This trip is a little different though from any trip I’ve been on before. Come tomorrow morning, I will be arriving in Prague, Czech Republic to join 20-something of my colleagues from St. Norbert College on a Norbertine Heritage Tour. The Heritage Tour is a trip that St. Norbert College offers annually as a way to reconnect and increase awareness of the college’s deep roots which lead back to the European Norbertine Abbeys of yesteryear. While I knew about the Heritage Tour tradition, I couldn’t have told you when this year’s tour was leaving, where it was going and I would have told you most definitely, that I would not be going on it … until 2 weeks ago that is. The Tuesday before last, started like any other day. As the primary web content manager of the web site and the coordinator of all things “e-” in the office of communications, I spent the better part of the morning mocking up an e-communication for the office of alumni and parent relations, fixing broken links and laying the ground work for a new “Sport and Society” conference web site (here’s where I become a shameless marketer … it’s an academic conference that will be held in 2010; SNC is partnering with the Green Bay Packers, more info coming soon). Mid-morning, I learned that Father Jay Fostner, the vice president of mission and heritage at the college, was looking for a photographer/videographer for the Norbertine Heritage Tour. The invitation was extended to me and the rest of the day was kind of a blur. I know I said, “Are you kidding me?,” more than once. To make a long story short, I went home that night excited beyond belief and shined up my passport (luckily, I had a passport!). Taylor Swift, If you’re reading this, I’m sorry I won’t be at your concert at Country USA next week. I’ll find some way to make it up to you.

Once I arrive in Prague early tomorrow morning, I will meet up with the rest of the gang at our hotel. “The gang,” includes President Tom Kunkel, his wife Deb, a number of Norbertines including Fr. Jay, several faculty and staff persons and some members of the Board of Trustees. I’m excited to spend the next two weeks traveling with this group. We will be traveling together to Norbertine Abbeys located in the Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Whoops, time to board …

To learn more about the college’s history and heritage in the meantime, you can view “Communio: Living the Tradition” below.