Postscript

First of all I’m happy to report that with the exception of five people who stayed on to do a little more traveling in Europe, the rest of our group made it safely home on Monday evening with no flight delays for anyone. Yay!

There was literally so much history everywhere we went there was no way I could summarize it all and still keep the details straight, plus I figured most people were only following this blog to see the photos anyway. But for anyone who is interested in learning more about the abbeys and the Norbertine communities we visited I wanted to provide links to their websites where you can read more on their history and what they are doing today.

The official website for Roggenburg Abbey is only in German, so the link actually takes you to a  Wikipedia page where you can read the story in English.

The site for Schlaegl Abbey in Austria is also in German language only, but I found an interesting link to a page about their brewery that includes a short video worth watching just for the beautiful scenery.

The website for Geras Abbey in Austria has both German and English, so the link should take you directly to the welcome page in English. Note that they also have a facebook page so you can “like” it and be kept up to date on your news feed!

The sisters have a beautiful web site featuring all of their communities throughout the world and it has all been translated into English. Click here to read about the convent at Vrbove, Slovakia.

On this page for the convent at Doksany in the Czech Republic you can even see a photo of all the sisters we didn’t have a chance to meet when we were there!

I’m really glad the website for Strahov Abbey in Prague is also in English because the introduction page offers a really nice history of the order there.  Also, if you click through the picture gallery links you can get a sampling of the beautiful collection of Czech and European art we saw there.

As I mentioned in my original post Magdeburg is a small dependent priory of Hamborn Abbey in Germany and unfortunately I could not find anything on the web in English. But I’m including the link to their site anyway because I know that many people know at least a little German.

I hope that everyone has enjoyed learning a little more about the history of the Norbertine order in Europe. It was my pleasure to document the 2012 Heritage Tour through photos on this blog, so thanks for following it!